I suspect the truth is that we are waiting, all of us, against insurmountable odds, for something extraordinary to happen to us.
The severity of your eating disorder is NOT determined by your ‘low weight’
The severity of your self harm is NOT determined by your ‘worst cut’
The severity of your depression is NOT determined by how suicidal you have been.
The severity of your mental illness IS determined by how much it affects you personally.
PLEASE stop making mental illness a competition.
I have been having a very hard time being ok with my body tonight.
I have been wanting to have no body at all.
I have been wishing to be small and hidden.
I have been feeling the need to disappear.
I got into bed and was going to take pictures of my body to be negative towards it…
but then I clicked this image and looked at it.
I saw sand dunes.
I saw nature.
I saw myself.
I am the Earth.
I am the Earth.
I am the Earth.
Make no mistake about it, the people who have been in this community for decades… decades! have made Bed-Stuy a flavorful stew, comprised of equal parts, ups and downs. Definitely imperfect, it’s a neighborhood that prides itself on being fully human. And that’s the only kind of “civilized” I need. To paraphrase Spike Lee from his recent interview at Pratt (yes, that interview), there does tend to be this Christopher Columbus mentality, this glimmer of discovery in the eyes of many of our new neighbors. A blind entitlement that allows them to arrogantly ignore the deep footprints they now nestle their feet into. But we’ve been here and it’s the lack of acknowledgment of that that’s problematic. Bed-Stuy doesn’t need fixing because Bed-Stuy is not broken or unsteady. It doesn’t need to be renewed or rebuilt or even rebranded. It just needs to be respected.
why cant I just watch Instant Star? Why are seasons 3 and 4 impossible to find? Why is life so hard!
When are people going to realise that eating disorders are not weight disorders?
You don’t have to be thin / underweight / emaciated to have an eating disorder.
You can look perfectly ‘healthy’, and have a monster in your mind that is destroying you from the inside.
The mayor of Mississauga, Canada is a badass. via
Hazel McCallion, everbody.
92 years old,
34 years in office,
$0 in debt
$700 million in reserve
Eight prime ministers
But women aren’t strong leaders… OH WAIT.
Now I’m sure somebody’s gonna tell me something but
- supports a Palestinian state
- supports Aids CHarities
- told her city well if we cant get money y’all need to pay taxes and maintains a 76 approval rating
- nick named Hurricane Hazel
- and is so boss lady that she don’t run she’ tells folks to give that money to charity
I will always reblog this lady.
This woman is officially my new hero.
In regards to the flooding in the GTA yesterday, she apparently said that she hasn’t seen rain like that since her neighbour Noah was building a boat.
New hero in life.
Sixteen small steps to happiness:
1. Push yourself to get up before the rest of the world - start with 07:00 a.m., then 06:00 a.m., then 05:30 a.m. Go to the nearest hill with a big coat and a scarf and watch the sun rise.
2. Push yourself to fall asleep earlier - start with 11:00 p.m., then 10:00 p.m., then 09:00 p.m. Wake up in the morning feeling re-energized and comfortable.
3. Erase processed food from your diet. Start with no lollies, chips, biscuits, then erase pasta, rice, cereal, then bread. Use the rule that if a child couldn’t identify what was in it, you don’t eat it.
4. Get into the habit of cooking yourself a beautiful breakfast. Fry tomatoes and mushrooms in real butter and garlic, fry an egg, slice up a fresh avocado and squirt way too much lemon on it. Sit and eat it and do nothing else.
5. Stretch. Start by reaching for the sky as hard as you can, then trying to touch your toes. Roll your head. Stretch your fingers. Stretch everything.
6. Buy a one-litre water bottle. Start with pushing yourself to drink the whole thing in a day, then try drinking it twice.
7. Buy a beautiful diary and a beautiful black pen. Write down everything you do, including dinner dates, appointments, assignments, coffees, what you need to do that day. No detail is too small.
8. Strip your bed of your sheets and empty your underwear drawer into the washing machine. Put a massive scoop of scented fabric softener in there and wash. Make your bed in full.
9. Organise your room. Fold all your clothes and bag what you don’t want, clean your mirror, your laptop, vacuum the floor. Light a beautiful candle.
10. Have a luxurious shower with your favourite music playing. Wash your hair, scrub your body, brush your teeth. Lather your whole body in moisturiser, get familiar with the part between your toes, your inner thighs, the back of your neck.
11. Push yourself to go for a walk. Take your headphones, go to the beach and walk. Smile at strangers walking the other way and be surprised how many smile back. Bring your dog and observe the dog’s behaviour. Realise you can learn from your dog.
12. Message old friends with personal jokes. Reminisce. Suggest a catch-up soon, even if you don’t follow through. Push yourself to follow through.
14. Think long and hard about what interests you. Crime? Sex? Boarding school? Long-forgotten romance etiquette? Find a book about it and read it. There is a book about literally everything.
15. Become the person you would ideally fall in love with. Let cars merge into your lane when driving. Pay double for parking tickets and leave a second one in the machine. Stick your tongue out at babies. Compliment people on their cute clothes. Challenge yourself to not ridicule anyone for a whole day. Then two. Then a week. Walk with a straight posture. Look people in the eye. Ask people about their story. Talk to acquaintances so they become friends.
16. Lie in the sunshine. Daydream about the life you would lead if failure wasn’t a thing. Open your eyes. Take small steps to make it happen for you.
just a heads up, if i ever weird you out on any level, too friendly, too flirty, anything at all, i encourage you to be very vocal towards me about it to make sure i dont continue to make you uncomfortable. i dont want anyone feeling like im not someone they can trust and be comfortable around.
Is twin peaks even real?